Senior Counsel (Trial Litigation)
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
Senior Counsel - Trial Litigation
As a Senior Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass’s business and work with employees across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
At Compass You Will:
- Provide legal support for commercial and general litigation and other legal disputes
- Serve as a lead attorney overseeing a range of litigation matters from inception to completion
- Work in close partnership with business teams to achieve outcomes that appropriately balance business opportunities with risk mitigation
- Supervise outside counsel to achieve desired results
- Manage litigation budgets and associated forecasting and reporting requirements
- Analyze judicial and legislative developments and structure and implement strategies and policies/procedures to mitigate legal risk
What We Look For:
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar a plus)
- 7+ years combined years of experience, primarily in commercial litigation and arbitration, with a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Previous in-house experience preferred
- Proven ability to independently manage large caseload and other projects
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to distill complex legal issues and provide sound, clear legal advice to senior leaders and others
- Experience with litigation in both state and federal courts
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with and manage other attorneys and legal professionals
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
The base pay range for this position is $150,000-$224,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.