Senior Counsel, New Development
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
As a Senior Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers, and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass’s business and work with employees across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team. This role will report into our NYC office.
At Compass You Will:
- Partner with the Compass Development Marketing Group (“CDMG”) and Compass real estate agents to support all commercial aspects of Compass’s New Development business, including drafting and negotiating Exclusive Sales and Marketing Agreements, consulting agreements, side letters, referral agreements and similar documents
- Provide business-friendly legal support to the CDMG business on commercial and legal issues, including strategic initiatives, employment matters, dispute resolution and business processes, taking into account Compass policies and procedures and business strategy
- Develop policies, training, and workflows to allow CDMG teams to move quickly while addressing key legal risks in their areas of operation
- Build and improve contract templates and negotiation playbooks, and support the continuous improvement of existing processes
What We Look For:
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar
- 6+ years of experience (prior in-house real estate development experience strongly preferred)
- Highly responsive, with a customer service-oriented attitude
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to distill complex legal issues and provide sound, clear legal advice to senior business leaders and others
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with other attorneys and legal professionals
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.
The base pay range for this position is $183,000-$204,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.
Something looks off?